I first saw triangular buttonholes on Pinterest, which referenced The Bishop Method of Clothing Construction from 1959. I couldn't work out the instructions in the book and so I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that the Craftsy course Couture Finishing Techniques with Alison Smith has a section on triangular buttonholes. She also offers instruction on circular buttonholes. I attempted to make up a flower buttonhole on my own with no success. She remarks that you should stick with one or two triangular buttonholes on a jacket. I thought to myself, "I wonder why she said that. Oh well. I think I'll do seven."
I used a gabardine from Mood Fabrics for the body and a wool flannel for the collar (which is unfortunately sticking up in the picture--you can't win them all). The gabardine was easy to sew with but it's hard to iron out a wrinkle once it's in there. The lining is a navy-ish acetate also from Mood. My color inspiration was this coat that Lady Mary wears in Downton Abbey.
Now for the construction details:
I constructed the entire shell of the coat first, including the facing . I put in the buttonholes on the front half of the facing and then cut triangles in the back half of the facing as instructed.
This pattern doesn't include a lining so you have to make your own. I have never done that before. Some people say, "I added a lining" like it's no big deal but for me it was a big deal. If you don't add one the inside of your jacket will look like this (unless you do a different seam finish, of course).
Tilly's tutorial on the Sewaholic website for assistance. If you look at that first the rest of this will make more sense.
The front jacket pieces are curved and therefore difficult to tape together. I marked it little by little as I swung it around from the bottom all the way to the top.
The facing part was harder to figure out because it folds back on itself and becomes the button band. I taped the facing on exactly like you would sew it. You can then feel on top of the paper and trace around the neck facing. For the front of the coat, I only added 5/8 inch (not 1 1/4 as instructed) and only to the top part of the pattern that is at the neckline. The inside of the facing extends 5/8 inch past the seamline along the front of the coat, so that's why I didn't add any more to that. This is what my piece looked like prior to cutting along the single line at the botton and along the middle line at the top:
The back bodice piece is rounded and is also in two pieces. You are supposed to add an inch to the back bodice to be able to form a pleat in the lining fabric. After factoring in the 5/8 inch I needed to take out because I was going to put the lining piece on the fold, I added 3/8 inch right in the middle and drew a straight line up from there. This meant that there was an extra 1/4 inch at the top and bottom but it worked out ok for me.
For the skirt front, I took off 5/8 inch along the straight front edge because of the facing issue described above. I did the same for the waistband.
I constructed my entire lining including sleeves prior to putting it in the coat. I wish I wouldn't have done that. I intended to follow the protocol used in the Colette Anise jacket I made last year, but then didn't read ahead before construction started. In that pattern, you sew the body of the lining on first and then hand sew the sleeves along the armhole. I didn't have that option here because I did French seams throughout my lining. Instead, I anchored the lining at the top and bottom of the armhole. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my friend's RTW coat was done exactly like that. I hand sewed my cuffs as well as hand stitching the hem and the hem of the lining.